The more I live - the more I learn. The more I learn - the more I realize the less I know. Each step I take - Each page I turn - Each mile I travel only means the more I have to go.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Whose Schedule Am I On Anyway?

It's always interesting to me when things don't go as expected. I love a plan. I love checklists & timetables. Unfortunately, life rarely goes according to these.

Today was the end of my baby sister's visit. She came down after Christmas to belatedly celebrate her 18th birthday, & today was the day to meet my Dad in Charlotte, North Carolina, (2 1/2 hours north), to get her back for her second college semester. We had a tight time schedule to keep to in order to avoid rush hour traffic and all was going splendidly until, 45 minutes down the road, she realized she'd left her backpack with her phone, wallet, and information for a scholarship behind. We had to turn around.

I had a choice: be upset that we would be over an hour behind schedule & I would be late getting to bed before pre-planning tomorrow or accept her tearful apology, remember how many times I've forgotten something and wanted someone to be understanding to me, and accept that everything happens for a reason.

We had just watched "Signs" last night, & all I could think of was Mel Gibson's line, "Is it possible there are no coincidences?" Getting angry over a forgotten bag wouldn't make it magically appear, & it certainly wouldn't make my sister feel better. Why waste our time with anger and frustration when we could rejoice in a little extra time together to sing to the radio & talk? So my schedule got thrown off - is that really so important when compared to feelings and memories? In light of how short life is, why waste it with anger?

Today's challenge: try to look at the big picture when your schedule is thrown out the window. How can you savor this moment, changed though it is? What memories can you make? How can you better a relationship by responding kindly and graciously to the unknown? Is it possible there are no coincidences?


#ABetter2016 #ABetterMe #WhatDidYouDoToday

No comments:

Post a Comment