The more I live - the more I learn. The more I learn - the more I realize the less I know. Each step I take - Each page I turn - Each mile I travel only means the more I have to go.

Friday, January 1, 2016

The Journey Begins...Better 2016, Better Me, Better Life

What a fantastic start to 2016!

If the Fates had put their heads together to help get this resolution off to a fantastic start, it couldn't have gone any smoother.

We decided to go to Tallulah Gorge State Park to enjoy a nature hike and the first day of the new year. While there, I faced a big fear I've had for years: the suspension bridge.

There are ten gorgeous overlooks at the park, and at one point, visitors walk 620 steps to a suspension bridge with a tendency to sway and swing and generally terrify me. I usually run across it to get to the other side, but today, I forced myself to walk slowly, take my time, look over the sides, and pause to take pictures. Facing that fear right from the get-go! 2016 can't scare me that easily!







That would have been enough, but as we continued our hike, I couldn't help but notice all the garbage strewn on either side of the trail from careless hikers who had gone before us. In the past, I've noticed trash but haven't done anything about it because I shouldn't have to be the world's cleaning lady, right? That's somebody else's job. 

But then I started thinking: if everyone thought that way, the whole world would fall to pieces! Doing as much good as possible in my corner of the world, right? And if I do my part, maybe I can inspire someone else to clean up their portion of the world too. So, nature hike became environmental clean-up hike...


I found a lot more than this, but by that time, my hands were too full for a picture. 

So, there we go: January 1, 2016 is in the record books, the first page in a 365-page story, and we started off great! 

What did you do today? 

#ABetter2016 #ABetterMe

No comments:

Post a Comment